Do you need a Yellow Fever Vaccination?
Travellers going to or coming from Zambia, Tanzania, Eritrea, Somalia, Sao Tome and Principe as well as Rwanda will no longer be required to produce a yellow fever vaccination certificate when in South Africa as these countries have been included on the World Health Organization (WHO) list of countries with low potential for exposure to yellow fever.
During the 136th session of the WHO Executive Board meeting, a review of countries with risk of yellow fever transmission and countries requiring yellow fever vaccination was conducted and based on the recommendations of the meeting; all travellers arriving into the country from these countries will NOT be required to produce proof of vaccination against Yellow Fever. This provision is with immediate effect.
In line with the International Health Regulations, 2005 South Africa requires a valid yellow fever certificate from all citizens and non citizens over one year of age (citizens over 60 years of age require a waiver certificate) if they are:
· Travelling from a yellow fever risk country; or
· Have been in transit exceeding 12 hours, through the airport of a country with risk of yellow fever transmission.
Definition of a valid Yellow Fever vaccination certificate:
Vaccine should be approved by the WHO and administered at least 10 days before departure to South Africa at a Yellow Fever approved vaccination centre. The vaccine offers protection 10 days after administration and provides lifetime immunity.
List of countries for which a Yellow Fever vaccination certificate is required for entry into South Africa:
CENTRAL AND SOUTH AMERICA
|Central African Republic||Mauritania||French Guyana|
|Democratic Republic of the Congo||Sierra Leone||Peru|
|Equatorial Guinea||Southern Sudan||Suriname|
|Ethiopia||Sudan||Trinidad and Tobago|
For a PDF of Countries with risk of yellow fever transmission and countries requiring yellow fever vaccination click HERE
What is Yellow Fever?
Find out more about Yellow Fever, what causes it and how to prevent it, click HERE
- Is your company sending employees to a country that requires Yellow Fever vaccination? We will come to you and administer the vaccination to your employees.
- Are you travelling to a country that requires Yellow Fever vaccination as a group? We will come to you and administer the vaccinations in the comfort of your home/ office.
- Are you travelling to a country that requires Yellow Fever vaccination come to us or we will come to you.
- Are you at the airport and just realised that you need the Yellow Fever vaccination in order to board your flight? Call us and we will come to you.
Updated 26 June 2017
With thanks to The South African National Travel Health Network